Friday, June 8, 2012

Faith: It's like learning to swim

"I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 3:14 (NIV)

We attended my daughter's first swim meet yesterday. Mind you, she is barely 4 years old and does not like to get water in her ears, but the girl will win your heart with her effort. I was not really sure what to expect. Although she has performed ballet in front of an audience, I was not sure how she would react to performing in front of a huge audience in a sport she isn't exactly in love with. She loves the water but does not understand why she can't just stay in the baby pool for forever.

The horn blows and off they jump into the water...ok, technically, one of the coaches had to help her slowly get into the deep end because there was no way she was jumping in that water full speed ahead. Her coach was in front of her calling her in, but she needed that encouragement from other coaches to get in. Once in the water, she smiled and grabbed onto her coaches neck with a death grip.

"Kick your legs Ella. Kick. Kick. Kick. I won't let go of you, but you have to kick!" she coached her.

Ella started kicking, but you could see the intensity in her face. About half way down the lane she was smiling again, but she was working hard kicking those legs...still refusing to let go of her coaches neck. And then Ella got kind of tired and the coach helped carry her. And Ella smiled and held on tight.

When she reached the finish line, she was all smiles. She was giving everyone high fives. We were so proud of her. Some kids swam the entire length of the pool. Others jumped right in and did great until about half way down the pool and needed a little help.

And then there was Ella. And she was so brave. So courageous...not letting fear keep her from experiencing the joy she saw others had. You could tell how desperately she wanted it, but she needed a lot of encouragement. But she kept going while hearing the coach say "I won't let you go. I won't let you go. Just keep kicking."

I wonder if faith is like learning to swim. Some people dive right in and make it seem effort less. Others take the plunge, but feel discouraged along the way and need a helping hand. Others, fall into His arms and hold on with a death grip. They find moments of happiness, followed by moments of fear when they are going through a trial. They kick and struggle through their faith, but they hold onto that voice that is always whispering "I will never let you go. Just keep going....and I promise you the prize at end will be worth it."

And then they reach the end and everyone is giving them high fives in Heaven because they know it has not been easy for them. And they look back across the length of that pool and smile seeing how far God carried them and how He never left them even when they were scared. And their Father, He is the first one to give them that high five and swing them around in His loving embrace.

Watching that brave little girl showed me the kind of faith I want. I want to need Him every step of the way. I want to hear Him whisper in my ear "just keep kicking...Sarah, just keep believing"...I want to hear it over and over again even when my goggles are foggy and I cannot see the finish line. I want to feel His arms carry me. I want to finish the race and win the prize and look at my Savior in total amazement. I want high fives at the end...not because I was a good swimmer, but because I held on tight.

Some days I may tread water. Others I might kick hard with smiles on my face. Some days I might have doubts...but, I keep on kicking. Because that is faith. Faith is holding on with a death grip to the Savior's embrace knowing He is enough to get you to the finish line. And you don't have to be a great swimmer. All you have to do is get in the water and wrap your arms around His neck.

1 comment: