Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Tuesdays with Tabitha: Good In, Good Out

 
"For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."
Matthew 6:21 (KJV)

Simple concept to follow, right? All you have to do is follow the rules; put only good things in, and only good things will come out. Super easy, yes?

Not so much.

This world we live in is corrupt. Every where you turn yields temptation, fear, depression, anxiety, anger and hurt. Is seems as if the only way to escape the snares of the enemy is to live in a bubble, protected by oblivion. But since the Bible comands us to be in the world but not of it, we have to figure out how to survive in a sin cursed world while trying our best to stand out as a light for our Savior.

But how are we supposed to do that?

Psalms 119:11 tells us to hide the Word in our hearts. In other words, memorize scripture. Study the Bible, seek God's face, seek His wisdom. If we are dilligently seeking Jesus and His will in our lives, then His presense will become our treasure, and our heart will follow.

Good will go in, and good will.come out.

It's through His Word-the Bible-that God speaks to us. And though I'm guilty of not practicing what I'm about to preach here, it's amazing how effective memorizing scripture can be in keeping your heart turned toward God.

I've found from my own personal experience that what I watch and what I listen too also have a major effect on how I behave how I treat others, and how I think. When I put in bad things-like negative, corrupt telivision shows and dirty, curse filled songs-into my daily routine, I feel weighed down. Heavy. Sometimes even sad and defeated.

But when I spend my time hiding Gods Word in my heart, listening to Christian music and worship songs, holding a Bible in my lap instead of a remote, or a great devotion book instead of a magazine, I feel refreshed. Content. Lifted up.

In the world, but not of the world.

Phillipians 4:8 tells us exactly what we should be thinking on to attain peace. Whatsoever things are true, honest, just, pure, lovely and of good report. If we think on these things-if we put good things in-we have a promise that the God of peace will be with us!

So, knowing what I know about how to attain peace as opposed to anxiety, you'd expect that I'd spend all of my time reading the Bible and hiding it in my heart, right?

Unfortunetly, wrong.

There are days when I get up early and spend time in prayer. I don't turn on the tv even once and I only listen to Klove. I talk with God continualy through out the day and I feel successful, vibrant, and so alive. I find it much easier to speak kind words to others, and I become hungry and encouraged to act selflessly and do all that I can to further Gods kingdom.

Then the next day I'd rather just watch tv and willow in self pity because I'm having a bad day.

It's a vicious cycle, one that the enemy no doubt enjoys watching me struggle with. But the great thing about our God is that He is faithful and just to forgive us, and more importantly, He let's us start over again the next day with a clean slate.

No matter what.

So let's be encouraged to put good in, so that good will come out. Let's think on things that will bring us peace, and take some time to hide God's word in our hearts, so that our treasure will be found in the right place, and we'll be free from the anxiety and depression that swollows so many.

It really is a simple concept after all!

Do you struggle with finding time alone with God each day?
If you could be honest with yourself, where would you say your treasure (and your heart) truely is?
In your own life, what makes it difficult to put only good things into your mind and body?

No comments:

Post a Comment