Thursday, April 26, 2012

Warriors for Christ

“So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."
Matthew 6:34 (NAS)

Don't worry. I wish it was that easy. On a scale of 0-10, my anxiety level is probably a 4-5 on a good day. We are all living in hard times. Whether you have personally felt the weight of our dwindling country and economy or not,  it only takes about 30 seconds of reading yahoo news or watching your local news to get your nerves completely rattled...or feel depressed...or both. If you have children and care at all about their future, you can just multiply that anxiety level times ten. If you think it is hard to stand up for your beliefs now, can you imagine what it will be like for our children in 15-20 more years? 

It is why I think it is imperative for us to come together as a body of believers. We may be raising warriors for Christ, but we better have them well equipped for the battle.  As our oldest daughter approaches her 4th birthday, I think it is just now beginning to weigh on us as to our tremendous responsibility to prepare her for the world...and it has nothing to do with becoming an exquisite writer or a great mathematician. As the school years are quickly approaching, I am already feeling the anxiety of losing my innocent little girl. Actually, I am terrified if I am being honest. The world is so caught up in appeasing everyone, that there is no right or wrong anymore. How are these little ones going to grow to have any morals when our world teaches them to be accepting of everything?

Of course my issue has nothing to do with believing that God isn't capable. I have seen the miraculous...I certainly believe He can do anything.  My doubt lays in whether He WILL take care of all my worries. Do I really have that kind of faith? Or is it that I really doubt His love?

"Cast all you anxiety on Him, because he cares for you."
1 Peter 5:7 (NIV)

And I doubt sometimes whether He hears me. Certainly there are many parents who have gone before me with much stronger faith, yet their children still rebel against everything they have been taught to be real and true. Doesn't the bible say "Train up a child in the way he should go,
Even when he is old he will not depart from it" (Proverbs 22:6 NAS)? But that is just a proverb, not a promise. How can I know for sure that by simply guiding my child in the right path, that she/he will stay on that path? Granted I know it is all the work of the Spirit, but what is my role in this as the mother to their innocent and pure hearts?

"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus "
Philippians 4:6-7 (NAS)

My role is to not only live a Godly life, but to pray for my children daily (let your request be known). Dear Lord, PLEASE guard my children's hearts!

 I love that word: guard. The Greek word is Phroureo and it literally means to protect by a military guard, either to prevent hostile invasion, or to keep the inhabitants of a besieged city from flight (via). This world is getting pretty hostile, so my heart feels peace just knowing that God has promised to protect our hearts. He literally says to come to Him in prayer and He will be our warrior. 

So today, and every day after, my prayer is that Jesus does in fact come in and guard our little ones hearts. They are going to need a mighty shield to protect them against the hurt, anger, and rebellion in our society. I pray to rest in peace knowing that God will fight for their hearts.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment